St. Peter Cathedral
The first Mass in Marquette was celebrated by Father Menet, S. J., in a log cabin located on what is presently Spring Street. Thereafter, on occasion, the city was visited by the Jesuits stationed at Sault Ste. Marie.
On October 12, 1853, Bishop Frederic Baraga visited the city, confirmed 30 persons, and selected the site for the construction of a new church. This site is where the present Cathedral stands, on the corner of Baraga Avenue and Fourth Street.
History and Virtual Tour of the Cathedral