This is a very special time for you and your child as you journey to the days they will encounter our Lord in the Sacraments of Reconciliation and First Eucharist. In Reconciliation, they will encounter the mercy of God as their sins are forgiven by Christ through the Holy Spirit working through the priest. In the Eucharist, they will receive our Lord truly present in what still appears to be bread and wine but what has actually been transformed into the Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity of Christ (the miracle of every Mass)! They will be living tabernacles for a time each time they receive our Lord in the Sacrament of the Eucharist. This is indeed, a special time full of grace for them as it is for all the faithful. For more information about the sacraments themselves, please visit Reconciliation and Eucharist.
How does First Eucharist preparation work at St. Peter Cathedral?
First Eucharist preparation will also include preparation to receive First Reconciliation. In order to worthily receive the Eucharist, we must be as pure of a vessel as possible. We must be free from mortal sin. We will prepare the children so they know how to go to and receive the Sacrament of Reconciliation. The first half of our year will focus on Reconciliation, and the second half on the Eucharist. Students will receive the Sacrament of Reconciliation mid year and again at our First Eucharist retreat.
Sessions begin in late fall and occur throughout the year. (The calendar is available below.) At least one parent must attend each session with the student. Msgr. Michael Steber leads the parent formation sessions, and the Coordinator will lead separate formation sessions for students.
Who should attend First Communion preparation?
- Children typically prepare for and receive the sacraments of First Reconciliation and First Eucharist in second grade. If your child is beyond second grade but has not yet received the sacraments, we are happy you are here whether you are returning or new to the Catholic faith! Please contact the Faith Formation Office as noted below to register for the proper formation.
- All students seeking the sacraments must attend some form of sacramental preparation in addition to regular faith formation classes. This is true regardless of their schooling. Our sessions are thus for homeschool, Father Marquette Catholic Academy and St. Peter Faith Formation students alike. Please note that Father Marquette Catholic Academy does not hold sacramental preparation sessions; these must be done at the parish.
- Students must be registered parishioners at St. Peter Cathedral. If you are not registered but would like to attend our sacramental preparation, please contact the Coordinator. Families may register with the parish at Register
What else is involved?
- Students must be actively practicing the Catholic faith, which includes attending Mass every Sunday and Holy Day of Obligation. The Eucharist is the source and summit of the Catholic faith. It is a sin to miss Mass for reasons which are avoidable. Did you know if you are traveling you can find the nearest Mass by checking masstimes.org?
- Baptism is the first sacrament the faithful are to receive. We must verify a valid baptism has already been received. Attach a copy of his/her baptismal certificate to your registration, if s/he was not baptized at St. Peter Cathedral. If your child is not yet baptized, you may contact a priest to arrange for baptism . For more information about baptisms, you may also visit Baptism .
Register for First Eucharist preparation by Sunday, September 16th. Please print off 2018 First Communion Registration Form and return it and the required attachments to the Faith Formation Office at the address below.
Why not print off the 2018-19 First Reconciliation & Communion Calendar and post it on your fridge or put it on your personal calendar today?
For more information about First Reconciliation and First Eucharist, please contact Jenny Lochner at the number below or email@example.com.