Bishop John Vertin (first row, third from the left) was the builder of the first stone cathedral and the third bishop of Marquette from 1879 until 1899. Fr. Frederick Eis (standing in the center) was Bishop Vertin's immediate successor as Bishop of Marquette (who eventually became the fourth bishop of Marquette from 1899 until 1922). Fr. Edward Jacker (seated at the right) was Bishop Baraga's faithful co-worker.
Pictures of the original stone Cathedral after the second fire of November 3, 1935.